Tutorials

Sunday 28 April 2013

It's been quiet around here!

Indeed it has! As always, I had trouble getting back into my stride after being away for a while. This time it seemed worst than ever! But at long last I finally turned a corner and I'm sewing again. I've had an order for another Dr. Seuss quilt since before Christmas. As I had mostly only scraps left I had to be a bit inventive. I hope it will meet with approval.



While I was  making it, my machine gave up its ghost and is now being repaired as well as getting serviced at the same time. The Bernina agent came and picked it up and promised to deliver it back again next week. Great service, isn't it?  Luckily I still have my trusted Bernina Aurora 440 and it was nice to get reacquainted again, although it felt a bit like sewing on a doll's machine.


This is how I match stripes when joining binding strips with mitered seams:
1. make a 45 degree crease and iron well
2. find a match on the next strip of the binding
3. flip the binding open, then pin in place
4. sew along the creased line

and voilà , perfectly matched. 

Happy Sunday!
Vreni xx

Follow on Bloglovin

12 comments:

conny's quilts en creaties said...

Welcome back again and what a beautifull you have there! It's very sunny!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Love the quilt Vreni! Nice to hear your voice again ;)

blauraute said...

Liebe Vreni,
was für ein toller Quilt ist das geworden. Die Stoffe finde ich ausgesprochen schön, so fröhlich anzuschauen. Das Binding ist klasse.
Liebe Grüße
Roswitha

Shirley said...

Good to see you back in action. You have been missed.

Martina said...

Schön dass du wieder nähst und dein Quilt ist ganz toll geworden. Richtig fröhlich. Tolle Idee mit dem binding. Muss ich mir merken.
Ganz lg Martina

Geckoboxes said...

Lovely quilt, as always! Well, I still love my Berni 440, in fact, I miss it while being in Holland for a longer time. ;)

Lynda said...

Such a cute quilt. The binding is perfect for it too. I haven't been in my sewing room much lately either. I have sewn on a couple of bindings but not much else. Glad your back.

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

Very joyful quilt! Glad that you are posting again. I have also been quiet for a while, so glad to get back to my quilting and reading all my favorite blogs (like yours) again!

Cattinka said...

Der Quilt ist aber sehr farbenfroh geworden.
LG
KATRIN W.

LintLady said...

Hallo Vreni,
meine Kids haben Dr.Suess geliebt!
Das ist ein toller Quilt geworden.
LG von Doris (von der Arbeit aus geschrieben) :o))

Thimbleanna said...

Fantastic Vreni! I LOVE the quilt - it's just too cute. I'm sure your customer will love it!

FlourishingPalms said...

Your Dr. Seuss quilt is wonderful. I think you pieced up your scraps quite ingeniously! Funny, but your old doll machine is my regular machine. I do like the Aurora 440... which reminds me that mine needs a tune-up.