Tutorials

Tuesday 10 August 2010

The good news is....

I've finished the silk quilt. The bad news is, I've made a bit of a mess with the quilting. It's the first time I've used my new machine for quilting with the walking foot, and somehow I managed to put it on the wrong way. I couldn't figure out why the stitches were so uneven and also not quite straight. I tried changing the needle, changing the tension but nothing worked. Only when I took the walking foot off, after I've finished, did I see my mistake. Arrrr.... Anyway, what's done is done. I don't have time to unpick everything as the quilts needs to go to the post office tomorrow, so it can be in the UK by the 22nd. At least I know it was my mistake and the machine isn't faulty!

Because of the trouble with the machine, I've kept the quilting to a minimum.

Hopefully some people will like it and are willing to buy some raffle tickets since it's for a good cause. All proceeds are going to the Christina Noble Children's Foundation. If you would like to know more about this terrific organisation, please see here.

That's all for today. 

Cheers
Vreni

14 comments:

Hilde said...

Your quilt is awesome! I love the combination of warm and cool colors! This quilt will definitely be liked by a lot of people. The use of silks is so appropriate for the good cause of the Christina Noble Children's Foundation!
Dutch kisses Hilde

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Love the colours! Very dramatic!

Marjorie said...

Very pretty! I've never worked with silk on a quilt. I hate it when blog posts inspire me to try something new...that's why I never get stuff finished.

chrisi said...

sehr schön dieser Quilt, ja in Singapor bist du natürlich an der Quelle für Seidenstoffe, konnte bei meinem Stopp leider nicht gross einkaufen da ich noch 5Wochen durch Neuseeland reiste, träume aber immer noch von dieser Stadt und hoffe nochmals dorthinzukommen

SewSofie said...

Oh my I LOVE that quilt. That colour combo is fantastic. Congrats on completing it, even if you may not be completely happy with the quilting.

Thimbleanna said...

Well, it sure looks pretty from here Vreni. What a wonderful thing for you to do!

Unknown said...

it's just beautiful!!
and such a wonderful gift for you to give it up for a special cause.
i'm sure they'll just love it!

Lynda said...

Your silk quilt is beautiful. Love all the bright and cool colors together. We are always more critical of our own work than we should be. I'm sure the quilting is much better than you think. And what a great cause and generous thing you have done. Congrats.

Heather said...

Well done. A real piece of art with an amazing selection of colours. How can people not fall in love with it.

wishes, true and kind said...

OMgosh, that is just gorgeous!!!

donkey and the carrot said...

It's beautiful!!! Beautiful!!!

meli B said...

It looks beautiful. I think you are very brave quilting with silk as it is so slippery. The quilting foot is better than an ordinary foot but I still can't get perfect lines. The fabric always seems to move and you end up with puckers at the end of the line. Silk would have been twice as hard to work with. I think you are a star finishing it and then giving it away. It really is gorgeous.

Helen in Switzerland said...

Vreni it's gorgeous! Was it terribly difficult to do? - I have lots of silk scraps and they scare the socks off me!

Carmen said...

¡Muy original!
Saludos desde España