Tutorials

Wednesday 5 October 2016

Autumn

Like many of you, I can't quite believe that we are already at the beginning of October. Summer is well and truly over, although we still have the occasional warm day. But the woods are getting colourful and I can't get enough of that golden Autumn light!

I had a lovely summer with a couple of road trips rediscovering Europe. It made me appreciate how much there's still to do and see here. We also had lots of visitors from all corners of the word and from as far away as New Zealand and Australia and the US. And some even brought hand made gifts, like these lovely bags my friend Jeanette made for me


and this pin cushion my friend Joanna made; I have quite a few pin cushions but this is definitely my biggest yet and very practical it is too!


This is the quilt I received in this round of the "Another little Quilt Swap"


Sarah from the UK made it and I love it. Take a look at her blog; I really like her style and it seems we have the same taste not only in quilting but also in books.

A couple of weeks ago I met up with another friend Rose-Anne from the Netherlands at the yearly European quilt show in the Alsace, France, which is only about one and a half hour from where we live. It's the first time I visited this show and it's nothing like any show I have previously been to. The exhibitions were strewn over four different villages and were mostly in churches or town halls.

Rose-Anne had a quilt in the "Dear Jane" exhibition. It was made with mostly Kaffe Fasset fabrics and it looked amazing. It was interesting to see how the same pattern can look so vastly different because of colour and fabric choices.



There was also a commercial area with everything quilting related. Of course I had to get a few bits and pieces! Some Dutch heritage fabric by Den Haan & Wagenmakers, something I've been hankering after for a long time. I have no idea what I'll do with them, but that's beside the point!


I also got these wool bundles. Aren't these colours just lovely? The shop I got them from is from Como in Italy. If I had only known that when we were there in the summer. Oh well, there's always next time. 


I've even been sewing a bit, mostly hand applique. I finally finished the corner and side triangles for The Aunts' quilt (only a year late...ha)!




Now I just have to tackle the last border which should not take me too long.... I hope. Then I have to decide how to quilt it. I really want it to be hand quilted - and not by me - but I don't have easy access to hand quilters anymore like I did when I lived in Asia. 

Happy Autumn (or Spring)!
Vreni x

9 comments:

conny's quilts en creaties said...

Wow what a sprakling quilt I see in the last picture. Most have been fun to visit the exhibition in St Marie au Mines... You bought loveley fabric too, and one day you'll know what to make with it...till then just stroke them and enjoy.
Kind greetings, Conny

Julierose said...

Beautiful aunt's quilt--i really like your color choices ...that dutch fabric looks amazing...hugs, Julierose

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely gifts and I got a bit of Dutch Heritage yesterday too...........love it.....enjoy autumn........

Lynda said...

I love Autumn too! The crisp air feels so good after a long hot summer. Your applique quilt is gorgeous. I struggle with applique...nothing I do ever seems to look good enough so I would rather piece instead. Looking forward to seeing it completed. The Dutch Heritage fabric is so pretty. I love Kaffe Fasset fabric but have never purchased any.....yet. It sure adds a lot of zing to the Dear Jane quilt.

Radka said...

I love the bag, what fun :-)
Your quilt is gorgeous, love the applique!
xx

Geckoboxes said...

Time flies when you are having so much fabric fun! XH

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh Vreni! Your Aunt is looking gorgeous! I love that little "plus" background fabric on your corners and triangle blocks too. And that Dear Jane quilt is beautiful - how fun to see one in bright colors!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You received some cute things.

Angela said...

Enjoy your autumn, missing it.
You got yourself wonderful fabrics. I am sure they will do their inspirational magic on you...
Happy sewing, bye, lG, Angela