Tutorials

Sunday 3 August 2014

Classroom Bunting

A few years ago, when my daughter started teaching, I made her a Dr. Seuss quilt for the reading corner and gave her some of the books for her own classroom library. I still had some fabric of that quilt in my stash and decided to make a bunting to hang up in her class room. I added a few other pieces from my scrap bin. 



It's actually one long sting of bunting, but I couldn't get it all into one picture. A friend of mine was kind enough to cut the letters on her AccuQuilt fabric cutter.

With the few flags I had left I made another shorter bunting. I think that would look nice in a baby or kid's room.


I also had to make a block for another of my quilting friends who is leaving Singapore. She requested Singapore Nature and I came up with this


It's supposed to be a lotus flower bud, in case you can't tell.

And I've been shopping! A local shop is carrying the whole of the Steel + Cotton range and at a very competitive price too. For now I bought mostly blender fabrics, but I might have to go back for more. I think they are such versatile and pretty colours/patterns and are great additions to my stash. 


We are off to Bali next week; let's see if I can find some lovely batiks for my stash as well. I'll keep you in the loop.
Cheers
Vreni x

10 comments:

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

I"m sure the kids love the bunting. And that sea in the background is just beautiful - and warm too no doubt. Enjoy your time in Bali.

HeathersSewingRoom said...

Your lotus flower block came out really great. Love the bunting, what a great idea for the classroom. Enjoy your time in Bali.

barcord said...

I love the bunting. As a former classroom assistant I know it will be a lovely unique touch to your daughter's room. The lotus flower bud is lovely. Your friend will treasure it.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Love the bunting and the lotus bud is so beautiful!
You have a nice little collection of C&S there.....hopefully mine will come soon. Have a nice time in Bali!

anne said...

Love the bunting:)

Can you advise what shop has C&S in stock ?

Enjoy your trip.

Lynda said...

What a fun bunting for your daughter's classroom. Really love the lotus blossom and the sea in the background. Hope you are enjoying your Bali vacation.

yarnivorous said...

Love the bunting! I think I'll have to make some bunting - it always seems so festive :-)

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful flower Vreni -- and I LOVE the bunting! Have a wonderful time in Bali -- will look forward to your report!!!

Janet said...

What a great idea for the bunting, love it. Your appliqué flower looks lovely too. Have fun in Bali.

Barb said...

cute bunting! I just made one too. I love the lettering on yours.