Tutorials

Sunday 23 February 2014

Something different

This past week I suddenly had the urge to "play" with beads, although I really should have been working on my baby quilts. My excuse was that I needed a birthday gift in a hurry and since I have tons of beads as well as all the components to make jewelry, I gave in gracefully. I remembered I had some porcelain beads I bought in China a while ago I combined them with a few lapis lazuli as well as some sterling silver beads. I strung them onto a waxed cotton thread and made a closure with another bead. By using cotton thread the necklace is soft and very comfortable to wear unlike when using "Tigertale" which is a nylon covered wire.


Of course I couldn't stop at just one and made a couple more




and included some Chinese cinnabar beads. I was wearing one of the necklaces yesterday evening to a party. It went perfectly with my blue and white top. 


My "love affair" with beads started a long time ago when we lived in Indonesia. I became an avid collector and connoisseur of old/antique beads and soon started to make my own necklaces. The idea was that I would sell them, but I seldom could bare to part with any of them and therefore have probably more necklaces than there are days in a year ;)!I have a small collection of those I wear regularly on my dressing table.

Until next time, take care.
Cheers
Vreni x

14 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

They are gorgeous Vreni!

Marg said...

Beautiful Vreni.
I used to make bead bracelets.

Donna~~ said...

Lovely--remind me of blue and white quilts!

Lynda said...

Oh Vreni, so lovely. I think I have a necklace somewhere made out of blue beads. I must look for it.

Geckoboxes said...

You have a beautiful collection of beads! The necklaces are definitely eye-candies and you should play more often with these gems of beads!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those are lovely. I have a collection of beads, but, I don't know how to make jewelry.

HeathersSewingRoom said...

You have a great selection of beads! and I love how you have put them into the necklaces. A fabulous way to enjoy them.

Shirley said...

They look great Vreni. Are you going into production? It does look perfect with your outfit.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Wow -- they're beautiful Vreni! I've always wanted to play with beads, but the finishing part has scared me off!

Wendy said...

Beautiful, gorgeous beads

Astrid said...

Love love love them! And blue is my favorite! Very beautiful!

FlourishingPalms said...

Well, aren't you the woman with many talents?! I'm quite impressed! I've never made anything with beads, and I really don't want to begin to invest in a "stash" of one more crafty thing! But gosh, these are beautiful! I don't know which one I like best. They're all quite lovely. I'm sure your birthday girl loved hers as much as you like the one you made for yourself. Good job!

Barbara said...

Diese Glasperlenketten sind wunder-, wunderschön! Ich habe auch eine aus antiken venetianischen Beads, die ich von einer Freundin gekauft habe, die Spezialistin für derartige Arbeiten ist. Deine gefallen mir besonders gut, weil sie in den monochromen Farben einen richtig modernen touch bekommen. Nimmst du einen Draht zum Aufziehen?
Lieben Gruss aus der frühlingshaften Baslerregion,
Barbara

Barbara said...

P.S. meine letzte Frage sollte eigentlich heissen, nimmst du nie Draht, denn ich hätte Angst mit dem gewachsten Baumwollfaden die beads zu verlieren (auch Nylon ist ja nicht unzerreissbar).
LG, Barbara