Tutorials

Saturday 6 April 2013

I'm back!

After almost a whole month in Switzerland we are now back home again. It's been a busy time looking after mum, sorting her house, meeting up with friends and family and doing all the things one does on home leave, like doctors appointment, shopping and too much eating!!! Mum is hanging on although we've noticed a definite decline since we last saw her. She has no concept of time anymore, asking every morning what day it is, then asks again and again. We were finally able to perused her to use a "rollator", as she didn't think she was old enough for one of those. Here she is at her first "driving lesson". 

When we first arrived the weather was pleasant and it felt like spring, but that changed pretty fast. Here we are having a cup of tea in the garden
and here the same scene a couple of days later. It snowed three times while we were there. I wasn't complaining as I've been hankering after snow for so long. But I think I might have been the only one as everybody else was sick of winter and was longing for Spring to arrive. 
Nothing is better than a cheese fondue on a cold evening.

But Spring was apparent nevertheless; I loved these flowers around this door, incidentally the entrance to a private bank!
The flower stalls at the main market were bursting with colour.

The Townhouse dating back to the 14th century.

When my Dutch friend came for a visit, we headed to the Picasso exhibition at the Kunstmuseum. Basel (my hometown) has  always had a special relationship with Picasso, you can read about it here. Unfortunately it wasn't allowed to take pictures at the exhibition, so I show you "The Burghers of Calais" by August Rodin instead. It adorns the entrance court of the museum. 
Then I came across some art of a different kind. These lovely hens were knitted by the ladies at the old people's home where my friend's father is living, as part of the Easter decorations. Aren't they cute?
 

When I got back home I found a parcel from Lynda waiting for me. It contained the bag I won at the recent give away on her blog along with lots of other lovely goodies. It was a bit like Christmas!  Thanks again Lynda!


As you might have seen in my last post, I've installed "Bloglovin". If you would like to keep following my blog, you can do so by clicking this button: 
                                                       Follow on Bloglovin
I didn't sew much and I didn't blog either while I was away but now it's time to get back to both again, once I'm over this wretched jet lag, that is! 


Until next time, stay happy.
Cheers
Vreni xx




17 comments:

LintLady said...

Hallo Vreni,
willkommen zu Hause.
Da hast du ja eine ganze Menge "geschafft" in der Schweiz und wohl eine schöne Zeit gehabt scheint's.
Ich wünsche dir , schnell über den Jet Lag zu kommen und viel Spaß beim Nähen.
LG Doris, die z. Z. auch ganz "Blogfaul" ist.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Welcome home Vreni! Your mum looks like she will have a blast with the walker...My mother inlaw refused to use one when she lost the use of her leg from shingles, it really whould have helped a lot but I guess we all can be so stubborn at times and no one wants to admit they are getting a bit older. Those knitted hens are so cute too BTW!

Martina said...

Schön dass du eine gute Zeit hattest in der Schweiz! Und sogar Schnee, obwohl, auch ich hätt nun gerne etwas wärmer, lach!
Viel Freude am wieder einleben und viele crative Impulse!
LG Martina

Unknown said...

Welcome home.Sounds like you had a busy time back home with your mother. Hope your jetlag will go away fast.
If you find out how those chickens are knit, please let me know. I love them.

Sheila said...

Great pictures! Knitted chicken decorations at Easter! What a good idea. So many lovelies in that giveaway. Lucky you : )

Shirley said...

Good to have you back Vreni. You brought back some lovely photo's to share. Today has been a beautiful day, quite probably the best day since the odd one or two last summer. Phew! We are not used to it.

Geckoboxes said...

What a nice pictures! Hope you have reloaded your battery and will move fast forward with your sewing projects!

meli B said...

Brilliant photos Vreni. The hens and the bank were my favourites. I am glad you spent some quality time with your mum and enjoyed a few cool days. After being to Singapore, I totally get that!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Welcome back Vreni! It was so nice to see your Switzerland pictures and I'm glad it was snowing while you were there :) I remember you telling me how you missed the snow when you saw my snowy pictures. It's nice you have some quilty stuff to start sewing with after a nice vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Vreni,
schön, dass Dir der Aufenthalt in der Schweiz so gut getan hat. Das sind tolle Bilder von der Reise. Und als Zugabe, gab´s auch noch etwas Schnee - so soll´s sein. Ich hoffe immer noch auf warme Temperaturen, der Schnee ist größtenteils weg.
Viele Grüße
Leonore

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Lovely photo of your Mum Vreni, it must be an emotional time for you. You take beautiful photo's, I have enjoyed them.
Cathy xo

Thimbleanna said...

Yay! You're back! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip, in spite of some of the details that you probably needed your attention. Love those pretty flower pictures!

Lynda said...

Sounds like a great time with your Mom. The pie and fondue look so yummy! Love all the flowers around the bank door. Always fun to go on vacation but always fun to come home again too. Glad you are enjoying the giveaway. The mats are hot pads but you could use them however you want. I put all those Christmas fabrics together because I was going to make that "Mile a Minute" quilt (I think that is what it is called) but I never got around to it last year. Maybe you can find something to do with 2 1/2 inch strips.

FlourishingPalms said...

So glad you had a nice visit home. I'm sure you enjoyed your time with your mom, and I'm glad you could appreciate the snow. Those Swiss know how to do fondue, and I was salivating to look at what you ate. Yum! I'm sure you're glad to be at home again. Enjoy getting back into the groove and doing some sewing. I won't miss any of your posts as I've never used Google Reader. I'm an RSS Atom Feed subscriber which, in my opinion, is the only way to go. Posts come into my email box, so I don't have to go anywhere, or use a program to read them. Works great!

Kate said...

Welcome back!! Lets catch up soon.
Kx

Marg said...

That looks and sounds like a lovely vacation. I'm glad you had some snow , even if the locals weren't too happy about it. The spring flowers look lovely, we don't have those here either as it's too warm.

donkey and the carrot said...

OMG! I have missed so much for so long!!!! What a cute mom Vreni!!!! And what a wonderful post! It was as if i travel there myself!!! PRIVATE BANK????? The flowers, the market... what a journey! Oh, i have missed you!!!! We are thinking of you though, every day, since we are playing ALL DAY LONG on your lovely quilt!!! Many many kisses from me and the little one xxx!!!!