Tutorials

Tuesday 12 October 2010

A new gadget

Do you like gadgets? I do, especially the quilty kind and I usually can't resit buying them when I come across a new one. They have not all been a success, some of them I have yet to try out.

Recently I found a new ruler called "Twister". Let me show you what I did with it:

First I cut 5 inch squares - I used some of the fabrics I dyed myself - and sewed them together first in rows then the rows into a rectangle. Then I sewed a border around it.

Next I cut the blocks with the help of the Twister aligning the printed lines with the seams.
Once all the blocks of the first row have been cut, I sewed them together before I started to cut the next row.
After all the blocks were cut and then sewn together again it looked like this:

Finally I've put a couple of borders around it and voilà! This little quilt top will go here where it will be quilted and then given to a local Orphanage.


On balance I like the Twister! It's easy and fun to use but you end up with quite a lot of little scraps, too small to use for anything else. But hey, there's no danger of me running out of fabric in the near future, is there? The Twister comes in two different sizes and is a product of CS designs www.country-schoolhouse.com.

Until next time, please take care!

Vreni

20 comments:

Martina said...

Schön ist er geworden dein Quilt. Mir gefallen die bunten Farben und das Muster. Scheint ein tolles Lineal zu sein!
LG Martina

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

What a fantastic little quilt you made. Love it!

Penny said...

The design looks complicating but that little gadget makes it so easy! Where in Singapore did you buy it from?

Theodora quilts said...

wow! Vreni I love it I will have to try that one day it looks complicated ,I had to go back and look at it again and again,it makes a complicated design easy I truly appreciate your generosity !! take care ,theodora

Theodora quilts said...

Hi Vreni it's me again I forgot to thank you for putting in a link to my blog , as you have noticed by my posts I am not to good at putting in links it's something that I have to work on, thanks again ,theodora

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, I've seen the twister at demos and it looks so fun. I love your bright, pretty colors!

Lynda said...

Who thinks of these gadgets anyway? Really love the quilt.

barcord said...

Hi Vreni, That is a fabulous little quilt. I will have to study it some more to work out how you did it. Will follow up the twister. Looks like something I would use. Thanks for this.

Heather said...

Well that is one gadget that works. It makes an interesting quilt without the headache. Love your colours.

Janet said...

Isn't it amazing? I wonder how people come up with brilliant ideas like this. Those are the sort of gadgets I love too.

kristine said...

wow, vreni, we are so blessed to have this georgous quilt donated by you to our cause "quilting with a purpose:)" i will be sure to share your technique with our group as we look for fresh ideas for our quilts. thanks again.

LintLady said...

Hi Vreni, ich will schon lange solch ein Lineal haben, aber bisher noch zu viel anderes in Arbeit. Hier bei uns nennen wir es "Flic-Flac". Macht so schöne Tops, nicht? LG Doris

Geckoboxes said...

I like your gadget! XH

XUE said...

The colours are so pretty & the end result is even more wonderful ! I am impressed that you dyed these fabrics!

Silvia said...

Vreni,
Lovely quilt... How complicate it seams to be... Oh...very nice..Congratulations, and have a nice week

meli B said...

Totally mad! It couldn't have been easy to sew the jagged corners but it looks great and so much easier than making all the blocks.

SewSofie said...

Oh my gosh your first picture gave me a fright! But the effect is awesome. Love it.

Valentina said...

Oh Vreni, I have done this technique as well, and really enjoyed it. I re-used the little left-over squares and made a matching mini! :) Fun technique! (I have the book and there are some interesting variations on the technique: like cutting them again, once you get to this stage!)

Thearica said...

I have seen a few of these made but did not know there was a ruler. MUST have that! Thanks for this post! :)

Your quilt is gorgeous!

kristine said...

vreni,
i just wanted you to know that we received your quilt for the orphanage in greece:) it is even more beautiful than in the picture!! thanks again. we will be posting a picture of it on our charity quilt site at www.toquiltorknot.weebly.com if you want to take a look.