Tutorials

Saturday 17 July 2010

Another "Good Bye" and other stuff


This friendship quilt was given at a farewell dinner this week to one of the members of our sewing group. She is leaving Singapore to return home to the UK early next month. It's always sad to say good bye but luckily she will be coming back from time to time as her son is still living here. All the best Carol, we will miss you!!!

I had a blast with my Dutch friend. We did a bit of shopping, a bit of sight seeing and a LOT of talking. This is her before the final of the world cup; as you can see, she still has a big smile on her face. After she left, I found the orange t shirt in the rubbish bin ;).
I haven't been very productive the last few days. I've played a bit with my hexagons (taking over the dining room table)
In case you are wondering how I prepare my hexagons, I will show you:
1. Cut your fabric (I fussy cut mine) and then cut a piece of aluminium foil (can be reused many times) a bit bigger than the fabric. Layer the foil, fabric and paper template.
2. Fold over all sides, taking care to get neat corners.
3. Press with a hot iron on both sides (be careful not to burn your fingers as the foil will get very hot).
4. Wait until the foil is cool to the touch and then unwrap the "parcel" carefully.
5. Press again on both sides.
6. Voila, you have a very neat hexagon and if you are careful, you don't even need to baste it.

I leave you with this picture of a sun set taken a couple of days ago from our house. Doesn't is look like the sky is on fire?

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Cheers
Vreni

4 comments:

meli B said...

Hi Vreni, The hexagons look fabulous. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with them. Also your method to avoid basting is very clever. I could almost be persuaded to make a few using that idea.
I don't think I could handle living in such a warm climate all the time. I don't mind our mild winters and although we get very hot weather in summer, we always get a change after a week to cool down again.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how clever! I love that foil idea -- it would hold the fabric so no burned fingers. All these hexies I see everywhere are making me wish I were doing one!

driftwood said...

what a great trick with the hexagons. and your silk colours look great. thanks for visiting my blog, the cakes were indeed well received, we made a lot of money for the charities x

Marjorie said...

Love the foil trick! However, with this weekend's temps expected to be 95 (35C)the thought of hanging out with my iron isn't very appealing. I tried glue basting for the first time on my current project. I have so many more to go, that I'm sure I'll have time to try many methods. Thanks for the idea.